The coming of digital technology has brought a lot of changes in our daily lives. Many, if not the majority of our home appliances have automatic features, giving us the opportunity to multi-task and become productive on a regular basis. It also gave us advanced forms of communication with the innovations in mobile phones, online chat platform, video call, and electronic or digital mail. Most significantly, it has greatly contributed to companies or corporations on how they do their businesses regularly with the ease and comfort of utilising the virtual world.
Looking closely into what is digital
Generally refers into the use of signals or data expressed as series of the digits zero (0) and one (1), typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or in this case bytes, kilobytes or megabytes used to identify and test the speed of an Internet connection.
Digital technology used in marketing and any other related field is a base two process. Digitised information is recorded in binary codes of combinations using the numbers above that are also called bits, which represent words and images. Digital technology in marketing replaced analog signals for many telecommunication forms, particularly cellular phones or mobile phones and cable systems.
The general concept of marketing
Marketing is the study of exchange relationships. It is the business process of creating relationships with and satisfying customers. The primary focus is the buyer, consumer or customer which makes it the premier focus or component of business management.
Digital marketing defined
Digital marketing is the marketing of products or services by using digital channels in order to reach out to consumers. The primary objective is to promote brands through various forms of digital media. It extends far and beyond internet marketing to include channels that do not require the use of the world wide web.
Examples of digital marketing technologies
- Internet – it is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link multiple devices worldwide. It is a network of networks that consist of private, public, academic, business and government systems from the local to the global setting.
- Mobile phones and tablets – These are gadgets that are dependent on signals from a mobile network. Data can be seen or explored using a liquid crystal display that creates a personalised user experience over WiFi or Direct Service Line (DSL).
- Display advertising – is a type of advertising using the services of websites, apps or social media through banners or other ad formats made of texts, images, flash, video, and audio. The primary purpose of display advertising is to display general advertisements and brand messages to site visitors.
- Search engine optimisation (SEO) – is the process of affecting the online visibility of a business website or a web page in a web search engine’s unpaid results – often referred to as “natural,” “organic,” or “earned” results.
- Search engine marketing (SEM) – is a form of internet marketing that involves the promotion of websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) primarily through paid advertising.
- Influencer marketing – is a form of digital marketing where the focus is on influential people rather than the actual target market on social; media. It identifies the individuals who have influence over potential customers and orients marketing activities around these influencers.